If you have spent any time watching the news in the past decade, you’ve probably also spent some time thinking about what would happen if a major disaster happened in your area. You may even have taken a look at disaster preparedness information. Perhaps you purchased a standard 72 hour emergency preparedness kit a few years ago and are pretty sure it is in the hall closet behind the golf clubs. Then, if you are like most people, you probably put the whole thing out of your mind.
So, are you being foolish or careless the way some “preppers” I’ve talked to say you are? I don’t think so. I am not a prepper, either – just a person who spent a week without utilities after a hurricane once. Major natural disasters or man made catastrophes like a nuclear plant failure are very scary things for people to think about and it is perfectly natural to want to think about nice things instead. After all, you know there is no real way to be completely ready for every possible danger and you could stress yourself out pretty badly by trying. However, if you push past your uneasiness and do some real planning and preparing, you can have the peace of mind that comes with knowing that you can keep your family fed, warm and hydrated during most possible disasters. Here are a few basic emergency preparedness tips that can help you prepare for possible disasters in your area.
Know the Possible Dangers in Your Area
If you are near a nuclear power plant, on a fault line, or located in tornado alley, you should definitely prepare for related disasters. It makes sense to have a storm shelter when you are likely to see tornadoes or to have a clear understanding of what to do if the power plant has a leak. I live near a big dam and have familiarized myself with warning sirens, how to find out how many gates are going to be opened when there’s a big rain storm and what to do if there is an evacuation.
Have an Up to Date Emergency Preparedness Kit
- Quakehold! Grab N Go Emergency Kit via amazon.com
Buying a standard 72 hour emergency preparedness kit is a great start if you have the money to buy it. If you need a kit for each member of a large family, it can be a little pricey, though. You can put them together yourself by following the CDC guidelines and shopping for bargains on the different supplies. Once you have the kit, you should add copies of all your important papers, a good pocket knife, a supply of essential medications, dry socks and underwear and some cash. I also think a thumb drive with copies of precious digital family photos on it is a nice addition.
Once you have a kit for each member of your family, put them in a safe, easy to access place. A lot of people put a wheeled trash can in the coat closet or somewhere else close to the door and stack them in it. Then, check the kits every six months to be sure that none of the food has expired. You should also rotate out any water bottles for fresh water and should check to be sure that you have at least a three day supply of current medications in them.
Meet the Most Important Part of Any Plan
Knowing you can handle life for a few days if something does go wrong sure goes a long way toward helping you feel less fearful, huh? Planning is important, but, to me, the most important thing is knowing that God is with me in any situation. Psalm 46:1 KJV says “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.” While you are gathering supplies, meditate on this verse and remember that you don’t need to put together your emergency preparedness kit from a place of fear. Being prepared is sensible and helps responders allocate precious resources to people who don’t need them. It allows you to spend some time praying for others when a disaster strikes instead of hunting down the kids’ birth certificates in case the flood waters rise. I consider it good stewardship and a wise choice for people living in disaster prone areas.
Do you have an emergency preparedness kit for your family?
Your Family Isn’t Ready For A Terrorist Attack, Hurricane, Flood, or Tornado!
Will They Survive? If The Government Collapsed Tomorrow
Can You Feed & Protect Them?
Will They Die Because Yaou’re Not Ready?
Get The “Survive-Anything Course”
How to survive anything may seem like a stretch, but here’s what I mean by survive anything: Be totally ready for ANY major disasters, whether it’s a hurricane, tornado, flood, civil war or even terrorist attack.
Sounds like a tall order (and it is), but together, George & I have put together a course that leaves nothing to chance. Even if you’ve never dealt with a major disaster before.
Here’s what’s included:
- The single most important thing your family needs (after a plan) in the event of a hurricane, tornado, flood, or civil war.
- Shortcut method to navigate your way through total chaos in half the time a normal commute takes – even if you’re in New York City!
- Easiest way to figure out exactly how much prep work you need to do. You’ll see that when you get organized the exact way George talks about, it’s almost as easy to prepare for a year as it is for a month!
- Don’t experience devastating “Survivor’s Guilt” that can hit minutes after a catastrophe, and be totally debilitating. It left people from Katrina wishing they were dead. This is vital for your children!
- Understand exactly what the starving mob of people is thinking, and how to remove any chance of them taking your food by force. The best part is it involves no violence (although you’ll learn how to deal with people forcibly if need be.)
- The first thing you need to do when you hear a tornado siren (not what the government wants!).
24 Hour Family Safety
You don’t have any time to waste. Between life now, and your concern for your family, I’ve made it quick for any man to get the bare essentials down. Even if you do nothing else, please take these steps.
They’ll help you:
- Have complete peace of mind in your family’s safety – whether you’re at home or not.
- Invest one day (or a weekend at the most) and turn your home into a veritable survival fortress. Looters and terrorists won’t even know what’s hit ‘em!
- Why the food your wife buys normally is perfect for your family’s survival – and what to stock-up on next time you go to the store! (You’ll never guess the reason – I didn’t!)
30 Days+ Extended
(No One Likes to Talk About This!)
Unfortunately, disasters like hurricanes, tornados, and civil unrest don’t have a convenient timeframe. They don’t pack up and go home just because you ran out of food.
So, you need to learn:
- How to create a 30 minute routine that will help keep you and your family happy for the rest of the day – even if you haven’t showered or eaten a hot meal in days!
- My most used disaster tool, that I keep on my counter! It’ll increase the storage life of anything from fruit to toothpaste! (The money this will save you in everyday life more than pays for this entire course!)
- The big difference between a disaster with well water and city water – and how your food completely depends on it! Plus, how to be totally safe with either!
- How to know if an expired food is safe, or if it’s going to kill you.
Mobile Survival Kit
Disasters don’t wait until you get home to strike, and they sure as heck don’t give warnings. You must be prepared at all times.
That said, you need to keep your life running like normal as long as you can, and know that you’re ready to survive at the first sign of serious trouble by keeping your Mobile Emergency Gear ready…
Here’s what that means:
- Get your “Bug Out Bag” ready for anything life can throw at you! If you do nothing else, please do this!
- How an Altoids tin can save your life! (You read right, this is the truth)
- Pack tools for surviving in the big city, or the wild – while keeping it easy to carry and lightweight (under 40 pounds!)
- A few critical items to help you survive extreme heat and cold!
- Turn your car into a mobile survival kit in under 30 minutes – when you think about where you spend most of your time, you’ll realize how important this is!
Get The “Survive-Anything” Today